Editor’s Note: It’s A Man’s World featuring independent male bloggers is intended to go inside the minds of single men and give their unfiltered perspectives on dating and relationships. The views and opinions expressed in this blog are solely those of the blogger and do not reflect those of ESSENCE or ESSENCE.com.
Love between two individuals should be as effortless as scratching your head or opening a door, but in life there will be things outside of that love you have for each other that will obstruct and sometime confine what should be a simple effort. When this happens usually you will have to work harder at loving each other.
12 rules for a successful relationship:
1. Never yell unless there is a fire.
2. Your first romantic efforts are usually your tools for longevity never throw them away.
3. Always renovate the structure of your relationship nothing new can ever grow on old soil.
4. If you follow rule three you will remain in tact through any storm.
5. If one person is finance someone has to be management, each individual should respect the others job.
6. Sacrifice things that are in reason for the benefit of the relationship.
7. Give from your heart and never from your mouth for the heart has no mouth for speaking only actions for doing!
8. Listen to your partner don’t hear them! When you are truly listening you are not thinking of your rebuttal or contemplating your defense.
9. Want for your partner what you would want for yourself.
10. Saying that you are working on your bad habits is just an excuse for delaying the change. The cure is simple change the bad habit.
11. Keep the arguments clean and the sex dirty.
12. Communication is key Democritus Of Abdera said it best: “To do all the talking and not willing to listen is a form of greed.”
Nicholas “Sixx” King is a Los Angeles-based single father, producer, activist and author of the forthcoming book “Giving Love A Chance: The Secrets to Men, Women & Relationships.”
You may like
Get The Essence Newsletter and Special Offers delivered to your inbox!