Travis Scott reached out to Colin Kaepernick before announcing he’d perform in this year’s Super Bowl halftime show, according to a new report.
According to Variety, the two had at least one phone conversation before the rapper confirmed his Super Bowl appearance.
“A source close to Scott said that while the two did not necessarily agree, they emerged from the conversation with mutual respect and understanding, with the rapper taking the stance that everyone makes a statement in their own way and he felt that the money going toward Dream Corps, combined with the platform provided by the Super Bowl, will do some good,” Variety writes.
Scott confirmed the rumors this week that he would be performing at the Super Bowl next month, while also announcing that he and the NFL would donate $500,000 to Van Jones’ non-profit Dream Corps. He will be joining Maroon 5 and Big Boi on the stage.
“I back anyone who takes a stand for what they believe in,” Scott said of his decision to perform. “I know being an artist that it’s in my power to inspire. So before confirming the Super Bowl Halftime performance, I made sure to partner with the NFL on this important donation. I am proud to support Dream Corps and the work they do that will hopefully inspire and promote change.”
His announcement came as many are still protesting the football organization following its treatment of the former San Francisco 49er, Kaepernick, who started kneeling during the national anthem before football games to protest against police brutality. Since he was released from the 49ers, Kaepernick
remains unsigned despite being a healthy and productive quarterback.
It was also previously reported that Jay-Z tried to talk Scott into declining the NFL’s offer to perform. But ultimately he made his own decision.
Will you be watching the Super Bowl halftime show on Sunday, February 3?Share :