BERTRAND GUAY/Getty Images
New details have emerged regarding the overdose that killed legendary singer Prince.
ABC News reports that the icon died after accidentally overdosing on counterfeit painkillers. Carver County Attorney Mark Metz confirmed the news, stating during the press conference,”The evidence suggests that Prince took counterfeit Vicodin, containing fentanyl. The counterfeit pills contain the potentially deadly opioid, fentanyl.”
The singer passed away in April 2016 after being found unresponsive in his Paisley Park mansion. News broke shortly after that the icon had died from an opioid overdose. Metz adding during the press conference that Prince was likely unaware that the counterfeit pill had been laced with fentanyl, “In all likelihood, Prince had no idea he was taking a counterfeit pill that could kill him.”
The opioid crisis in the U.S. has continued to cause damage throughout the country with U.S. Surgeon General Jerome Adams issuing a nation-wide advisory that more people should seek access to and training for the overdose-reversing drug naloxone.
Prosecutors add that no one will be criminally charged in the singer’s death.
You may like
Get The Essence Newsletter and Special Offers delivered to your inbox!