By taking a few simple precautions, you can reduce the risk to yourself, and also discourage those who commit crime.
- Be prepared. Educate yourself concerning prevention tactics.
- Be alert and aware of your surroundings (such as alleys and dark parking lots) and the people around you, especially if you are alone or it is dark.
- Whenever possible, travel with a friend.
- Stay in well-lighted areas as much as possible.
- Walk close to the curb and avoid doorways, bushes and alleys where someone could hide.
- Walk confidently and at a steady pace.
- Make eye contact with people when walking.
- Do not respond to conversation from strangers on the street, continue walking.
- Always lock car doors after entering or leaving your car.
- Park in well-lighted areas.
- If you are parked next to a big van, enter your car from the passenger door.
- Always have your car keys in your hand so you can enter your car quickly. After entering your car do not linger, leave quickly.
- Check the back seat before entering your car.
- If you think you are being followed, drive to a public place or a police, sheriff or fire station.
- If your car breaks down, open the hood and attach a white cloth to the car antenna. If someone stops to help, stay in the locked car, roll down the window a little and ask them to call the police or sheriff or a tow trucking service.
- Look at the car parked on the driver’s side of your vehicle, and the passenger side. If a male is sitting alone in the seat nearest your car, you may want to walk back into the mall, or work, and get a guard/policeman to walk you back out.
- Don’t stop to aid motorists stopped on the side of the road. Use your cell phone or go to a phone and request help for them.
Traveling by bus • Avoid isolated bus stops.
- Stand away from the curb until the bus arrives.
- During off-hours, sit as close to the bus driver as possible.
- Stay alert – and be aware of the people around you.
- If someone bothers you, change seats and/or tell the driver.
Click here for more car safety tips from the American Automobile Association
You may like
Get The Essence Newsletter and Special Offers delivered to your inbox!