Happy Friday Eve! Dive into this morning’s news with our daily round-up.
1. Eve isn’t a fan of Nicki Minaj’s latest Paper magazine cover. While the new co-host of The Talk says Minaj is an “amazing rapper” and a nice person, the former First Lady of Ruff Ryders says she sees things from a new perspective as a role model, “I’d just rather be a voice for those girls who have no voice in a different way — without showing myself off.” (Vibe)
2. Drake is not here for creeps. The rapper stopped his show in Sydney, Australia to call out a man in the crowd for groping women. Drake told the guy, “If you don’t stop putting your hands on girls, I’m gonna come out there and f–k your ass up.” (HuffPost)
3. Three UCLA basketball players, including LaVar Ball’s son LiAngelo Ball, recently landed in hot water after allegedly shoplifting in China. Trump, who helped with the release of the players, took to Twitter to demand thanks. And, once he got it, he logged back onto the social media site to continue his douchebaggery, demanding that the players also thank Chinese President Xi Jinping. (BuzzFeed)
4. Jordan Peele recently spoke out about Get Out‘s Golden Globes consideration. The film will compete as a comedy at the awards and the director spoke out against it at a recent event. “What the movie is about is not funny. I’ve had many black people come up to me and say, ‘man, this is the movie we’ve been talking about for a while and you did it.’ That’s a very powerful thing. For that to be put in a smaller box than it deserves is where the controversy comes from.” (Indiewire)
5. Blac Chyna has dropped her lawsuit against all the Kardashian sisters, except Kim. Chyna has filed to have Khloe, Kourtney, Kendall, and Kylie removed from a lawsuit that claims the family had a role in canceling her reality show with former fiancé Rob Kardashian. Kim, Rob, and their mom Kris Jenner remain on the lawsuit, but Chyna will have the option to add others. (TMZ)
6. Meek Mill is officially appealing his prison sentence, requesting that he be released and his probation terminated. The rapper’s lawyer is also requesting the recusal of Judge Brinkley. (Billboard)
7. The Trump administration is planning to lift the ban on importing trophy kills, like elephants, from Zimbabwe and Zambia. The elephant population in both countries has dropped over the last decade, according to National Geographic. (New York Daily News)
You may like
Get The Essence Newsletter and Special Offers delivered to your inbox!