Pool / Getty Images
POTUS rounds out 2016 with a detailed address highlighting some of the country's many accomplishments during his presidency and looking forward to the work to be done in 2017.
Earlier today, President Obama addressed the White House press pool for the final time in 2016.
At the start of his remarks, he discussed some of the many ways in which the country has progressed since he took office 8 years ago. POTUS also spoke on the recent CIA revelation that Russia and Russian President Vladimir Putin were involved with hacking the 2016 election and made brief mention of his successor Donald Trump, among other things.
Here are 10 things we learned from President Obama’s final press conference of the year.
1. The U.S. has seen the longest streak of job growth on record during President Obama’s two terms.
2. Of the 44 million people who were uninsured when President Obama took office, 20 million of them are now insured.
3. Since Obamacare was signed into law, our workforce has added more than 15 million new jobs
4. In 2015, the U.S. poverty rate fell at the fastest rate in almost 50 years.
5. The number of troops on the ground has gone from 180,000 to15,000 since President Obama took office.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter for the latest in hair, beauty, style and celebrity news.
6. Since President Obama has been in office, no foreign terrorist organization has successfully an attack on our homeland that was directed from overseas.
7. For the first time in U.S. history, over 90 percent of Americans are insured
8. The 2016 unemployment rate is 4.6 percent relative to nearly 10 percent when President Obama took office.
9. The median household income grew at the fastest rate on record in 2015.
10. Our country is stronger and more prosperous than it was 8 years ago.
You may like
Get The Essence Newsletter and Special Offers delivered to your inbox!