Family Of Philando Castile Reaches $3 Million Settlement With City Of St. Anthony

“No amount of money could ever replace Philando," a lawyer for the family said.

READ MORE LESS

The family of Philando Castile, who was killed by Minnesota police officer Jeronimo Yanez last year, has reached a $3 million settlement with the city of St. Anthony.

In a statement released by the city and lawyers for the family, all parties have agreed to the terms of the settlement.

“The death of Philando Castile is a tragedy for his family and for our community,” the statement read. “The parties moved expeditiously to resolve potential civil claims resulting from this tragedy in order to allow the process of healing to move forward for the Castile family, for the people of St. Anthony Village, and for all those impacted by the death of Philando Castile throughout the United States.”

The settlement will be paid to the mother of the victim, Valerie Castile, who is the trustee for her family in the case. The League of the Minnesota Cities Insurance Trust will pay out the $2.995 million settlement, which holds the settlement for the city of St. Anthony. No taxpayer money will be used to fund this settlement.

Attorney for the family Robert Bennett said the purpose of the settlement was to have the case move expeditiously rather than drawn out in Federal court and reopen terrible wounds.

“No amount of money could ever replace Philando. With resolution of the claims the family will continue to deal with their loss through the important work of the Philando Castile Relief Foundation.”

Jeronimo Yanez was acquitted of manslaughter and reckless discharge of a firearm charges on June 17. The dash camera footage and initial interview with Yanez after the fatal confrontation were released following his acquittal. Yanez admitted the smell of marijuana led him to believe that Castile was dangerous.