Oprah honored at Emmys, Toya Carter weds...
It’s Monday, which means we have a double espresso shot in our latte today. Take a look at why we need the extra buzz to read this morning’s news.
- Oprah Winfrey was honored at the Daytime Emmy Awards last night. During the tribute, Gladys Knight sang, “That’s What Friends Are For,” and Celine Dion took the stage to perform “Because You Loved Me.” Other Oprah celeb fans, including Barbara Walters, Ellen DeGeneres and John Travolta also participated in the tribute. Oprah accepted the award via a taped clip featuring her entire Harpo staff. Congratulations, Oprah! [The Hollywood Reporter]
- Congratulations are also in order for Toya Carter, who married Mickey “Memphitz” Wright over the weekend in Atlanta. There were tons of celebs there to help Toya celebrate, including Monica and her husband Shannon Brown, Kandi Burruss, Lauren London and Tamar Braxton. Lil Wayne, Toya’s ex husband, wished the newlyweds congratulations, tweeting, “Hats off to Toya and Memphitz. Best wishes.” [The Urban Daily]
- Mos Def is planning on having some fun in the sun this week, as he headlines the Fort Greene Festival in Brooklyn, NY. Actress Rosie Perez will co-host the event, which celebrates the diverse music, film, and culture of Brooklyn. [Fort Greene Fest]
- Blue-eyed soul singer Amy Winehouse disappointed fans this weekend with a messy performance in Serbia. The singer reportedly stumbled onto the stage over an hour late and mumbled forgotten lyrics to her own songs. She dropped the microphone and occasionally left the stage, prompting angry fans to boo and leave the concert. Oh Amy, could it be time for rehab? [MTV]
- LaLa Vasquez celebrated her 32nd birthday with family and friends in Las Vegas on Saturday night. The party was hosted at TAO nightclub and LaLa glowed the entire night with husband Carmelo Anthony by her side. Happy Birthday, LaLa! [The Global Grind]
- Marsha Ambrosius celebrated Father’s Day by releasing a new track titled “Daddy’s Little Girl.” The song was recorded on her tour bus over the weekend. “To all the daddies on this day, I’m thanking you so/ I love you with all my heart,” sings Marsha. Cute! [Rap Up]
- Beyonce is in the news again, this time talking about the deluxe version of her upcoming album, “4,” which will be sold exclusively at Target. Although the album leaked a few weeks back, the singer has a few secret tracks that will go on the Target release. “I think the fans are going to be so excited about this Target deluxe version, because I think some of my favorite songs I saved for Target,” said Beyonce. You can watch the entire video clip below! [Entertainment Television]
You may like
Get The Essence Newsletter and Special Offers delivered to your inbox!