- Barack Obama spoke at Kalamazoo Central High School’s commencement in Michigan yesterday. Before delivering his speech in which he encouraged students to take responsibility for their success, the President surprised students waiting in a holding room.
“I wanted to come by in a less-formal atmosphere to just let you know how proud I am … for everything you’ve done,” Obama said. [Detroit FP]
- Gary Coleman’s ex-wife Shannon Price sold photos of the recently deceased actor on his deathbed to tabloids. His mother is “shocked.” [TMZ]
- There’s a conspiracy theory floating around the internet suggesting that President Barack Obama was in the music video for Tag Team’s 1993 hit “Whoomp (There It Is).” [CNN]
- Marvin Isley of the legendary R&B group the Isley Brothers died of diabetes on Sunday at age 56. [NYTimes]
- Tracks from Eminem’s “Recovery” featuring Rihanna and Lil Wayne leaked two weeks before the album’s June 22 release. [MTV]
- Slim Thug just made every Black woman in America hate him with his commentary for Vibe.com. “A lot of Black women’s mind frame is that the man gotta do everything for her.” Thug writes. It gets worse. “White women treat they man like a king and Black women feel like they ain’t gotta do that s**t” he continues, claiming that his bi-racial girlfriend’s White side is what makes their relationship work. [VIBE]
- Mariah Carey’s calling on an old friend. The singer tweeted that she was in the studio and needed “Jermash aka LTLline to do at least 1 more.” “Congrats on your award,” she added, referring to Dupri’s VH-1 Hip Hop Honor. [@MariahCarey]
- Iman was honored with the Fashion Icon at last night’s Council of Fashion Designers of America Awards ceremony. Congratulations Iman! [DM]
- Naomi Campbell canceled an appearance on an Australian awards show ten years ago because the elevator was broken and she wasn’t about to walk up two flights of stairs. Now the supermodel’s former agent Carole White is suing Campbell for not coming through on the perfume deal. [HP]
- The moment we’ve all been waiting for has arrived. Apple CEO Steve Jobs revealed the iPhone 4 in San Francisco yesterday. The gadget hits stores on June 24 and will sell for $199. [SF Chronicle]
- Beyonce’s dad Mathew Knowles put the rumors of a Destiny’s Child reunion to rest saying, “There are no plans for the group to reunite for a performance or album. …Beyonce, Kelly Rowland and Michelle Williams have each moved on to successful solo careers. The members remain close, but will not reunite as a group.” [EW]
You may like
Get The Essence Newsletter and Special Offers delivered to your inbox!