Here’s all the news you need to know today!
– Michael B. Jordan is still basking in the glow of Black Panther’s success, but it appears his next project has already dropped its first trailer. Jordan will be playing firefighter Guy Montag in HBO’s take on Ray Bradbury’s classic Fahrenheit 451. The TV movie is set to premiere this May. (HBO)
– The first photo of Kanye West’s third child, Chicago West, has hit the internet—and the newborn is snapchat-filter ready! Kanye’s wife Kim Kardashian shared a photo with her adorable newborn on Instagram. Although Chicago has already made an appearance in Kylie Jenner’s birth announcement video, this is the public’s first official look at her. (Instagram)
– Patti LaBelle will be dusting off her acting chops to join the cast of OWN’s “Greenleaf” for its upcoming third season. LaBelle will play a recurring role as Maxine Patterson, a famous Christian motivational speaker and the CEO of a global Christian self-help empire. (Deadline)
– The trailer and release date for the Jay Z-produced docuseries on Trayvon Martin have been announced. “Rest In Power: The Trayvon Martin Story” will explore Martin’s life, and his legacy since his tragic death at the hands of George Zimmerman in 2012. The docuseries will premiere in July on the Paramount Network, formerly known as Spike. (Shadow and Act)
– Director Antoine Fuqua is reportedly back in talks with NBC Universal to direct the highly-anticipated Scarface remake. Fuqua had originally been attached to the film, but he had to drop out in 2017 due to another film obligation. The remake, which originally had an August 2018 release date, now has no date. (Variety)
– If Janelle Monae’s new music gives you Prince vibes, you are not far off! The multi-talented entertainer revealed that Prince was helping with her upcoming album, “Dirty Computer”, when he died in 2016. “…I really miss him, you know, it’s hard for me to talk about him. But I do miss him, and his spirit will never leave me.” (BBC Radio 1)
– Rapper Big Boi rented out an Atlanta movie theater this past Friday to provide a free screening of Black Panther to hospice care patients. The Outkast member not only paid for the movie tickets, but also covered transportation and food so that the patients could also experience the world of Wakanda. (Fox 5 Atlanta)
– The company that owns the rights to the sitcom “Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” has reportedly filed trademark applications for the rights to “Fresh Princess.” The multiple trademark applications include one for a television show, leaving many to speculate that a reboot of the iconic 90s sitcom could have a female lead. (TMZ)
You may like
Get The Essence Newsletter and Special Offers delivered to your inbox!