Melinda Emerson, ESSENCE contributor and America’ #1 Small Business Expert, is indeed a #BOSSLADY.
Affectionately known as the SmallBizLady, with 15 years in the entrepreneurial game, Emerson is a powerhouse recognized by Forbes. She counts American Express and Verizon among her roster of elite clientele, operates a successful blog that is syndicated by the Huffington Post and is the bestselling author of Become Your Own Boss in 12 Months and the ebook How To Become a Social Media Ninja. With a weekly reach of 3 million entrepreneurs, the #SmallBizChat host revealed the 13 ways of successfully navigating social media at our ESSENCE Fest Empower U session:
1. When you are developing a social media presence, the more transparent the better.
2. Be sure to incorporate keywords to ensure an increase in followers.
3. Must be willing to put in the work.
4. Make the world see you.
5. A website is the welcome mat to your brand.
6. Selling influence and products = social proof.
7. If it’s not working, you’re not doing it correctly.
8. Consistency is the key! Use it on a daily basis.
9. Engage with your audience and remember to thank them.
10. Promote yourself with care.
11. Remember the 6 C’s of Social Media Marketing: Connect, Communicate, Compelling Content, Consistent, Community and Commerce.
12. Incorporate different types of content including “how to” videos, product/book reviews, photos and our blog posts.
13. Dominate social media 1 hour a day by focusing on one account, scheduling content with platforms like Hootsuite or SproutSocial and use social media 3 times daily.