The hip hop mogul has made a new deal with Barneys that he says will still address the recent racial profiling accusations.
Jay-Z’s new fashion collection with Barneys will be unveiled next week, and the rap mogul is finally speaking out on why he’s proceeding with the partnership in light of recent racial profiling allegations against the company.
“I have agreed to move forward with the launch of (the Barneys New York Shawn Corey Carter) collection under the condition that I have a leadership role and seat on a council specifically convened to deal with the issue of racial profiling,” he said Friday in a statement.
The rapper turned businessman and designer is also promising that 100 percent of the proceeds from the collection will go to the Shawn Carter Foundation, which helps youth in need of higher education.
Last month, Trayon Christian, 19, and Kayla Phillips, both Black, accused Barneys of detaining them unlawfully due to racial profiling after they purchased luxury goods at the store. After this news broke, many of Jay-Z’s fans began creating online petitions urging him to sever ties with Barneys and he responded by saying he felt “demonized and denounced” for not immediately speaking out.
It seems he has changed his tune.
“I am in a unique position to use my voice to effect change to this disturbing issue,” he said. The Daily News reports that the rapper’s legal team has reached out to the New York Attorney General’s office to open dialogue and begin a probe into accusations against Barneys and the similar ones recently alleged against Macy’s stores in the state.
Were you hoping Jay-Z would do more, or do you feel he is taking the right actions in this case? Let’s discuss.
You may like
Get The Essence Newsletter and Special Offers delivered to your inbox!