Over the past week, Trump made visits to Philadelphia and Detroit to meet with Black leaders in hopes of gaining a percentage of the large voter bloc. Unfortunately, the polls have seen no changes since recent “minority meetings,” and there’s a reason for that.
From his awkward interactions with Detroit locals to his first Black church experience – ever – Trump’s outreach to the Black community has once again proved why his fight for African-American support is a losing battle.
Here are five things we learned from #TrumpInDetroit.
WANT MORE FROM ESSENCE? Subscribe to our daily newsletter for the latest in hair, beauty, style and celebrity news
1. He’s scared of Black churches:
2. He can speak openly with anyone, but always needs a script when speaking to Black folk (and it never works out well):
"Besides your lives in all likelihood, what have you got to frickin' lose by voting for me? Seriously?"#TrumpInDetroit— Craig Rozniecki (@CraigRozniecki) September 4, 2016
3. He takes extra security and a token Black escort (hi, Ben Carson) when going around Black people:
4. He has actually secured at least three new Black voters (yes, Burgess Owens we did include you):
5. Even babies aren’t impressed with him: