Bill Pugliano/Getty Images
Donald Trump's recent Detroit visit emphasizes the reasons why he'll never secure the Black vote.
Over the past week, Trump made visits to Philadelphia and Detroit to meet with Black leaders in hopes of gaining a percentage of the large voter bloc. Unfortunately, the polls have seen no changes since recent “minority meetings,” and there’s a reason for that.
From his awkward interactions with Detroit locals to his first Black church experience – ever – Trump’s outreach to the Black community has once again proved why his fight for African-American support is a losing battle.
Here are five things we learned from #TrumpInDetroit.
WANT MORE FROM ESSENCE? Subscribe to our daily newsletter for the latest in hair, beauty, style and celebrity news
1. He’s scared of Black churches:
2. He can speak openly with anyone, but always needs a script when speaking to Black folk (and it never works out well):
"Besides your lives in all likelihood, what have you got to frickin' lose by voting for me? Seriously?"#TrumpInDetroit— Craig Rozniecki (@CraigRozniecki) September 4, 2016
3. He takes extra security and a token Black escort (hi, Ben Carson) when going around Black people:
4. He has actually secured at least three new Black voters (yes, Burgess Owens we did include you):
5. Even babies aren’t impressed with him:
You may like
Get The Essence Newsletter and Special Offers delivered to your inbox!