Toni Morrison, an acclaimed author and poet, received the nation's highest honor yesterday.
See what we’ve got percolating in the kitchen:
- Yesterday, Toni Morrison received the nation’s highest civilian award, the Medal of Freedom. Morrison along with 11 other people were selected for their contributions to American society. “What an extraordinary honor to be able to say thank you to all of them for the great work that they have done on behalf of this country and on behalf of the world,” said President Obama. [Root]
- Is Serena Williams losing her steam? The tennis champion was eliminated yesterday during the first round of the French Open. “I made so many errors today, which isn’t the game I was playing in the past,” said Williams. “That’s life.” [Grio]
- Aresenio Hall is in early talks with CBS to bring him back to television. If he does land a deal, he’ll once again be working with the team that brought his first late night show to the air from 1989 to 1994. [Hollywood Reporter]
- Nelson Mandela has requested that he return home to his childhood village of Qunu, South Africa.The former leader was said to be living in Johannesburg while his Qunu home was being refurbished. His new home will be kept under high surveillance and will have “round-the-clock” police presence. [EURweb]
- Ray J is being sued for several garment of clothing that went missing the day Whitney Houston died. He hired stylist Marc Littlejohn to dress him for the Grammy awards. However, when Houston passed away everything in the room was tossed including Ray-J’s clothing. He’s being sued for $2,880. [TMZ]
You may like
Get The Essence Newsletter and Special Offers delivered to your inbox!