Joe Scarnici/Getty Images
Marvin Gaye III believes the film will focus on the negative aspects of his father's life.
See why we’re having waffles with our Hazelnut brew:
• News broke a few weeks ago that Lenny Kravitz will play legendary singer Marvin Gaye in an upcoming biopic—which will focus on Gaye’s life in the ’80s before his murder. However, Gaye’s son and Kravitz’s childhood friend, Marvin Gaye III, opposes it all. According to TMZ, Gaye said, “The producers and directors of this film are very wrong and shameful. [They’re] trying to do a film about a low period in his life. They don’t even know the whole story.” The family will reportedly meet with lawyers to figure out how to stop production. [TMZ]
• Russell Simmons had some not so nice things to say about Miss Universe Leila Lopes’s behavior. Simmons reportedly missed her farewell party and sent flowers. Lopes apparently didn’t take the flowers the way Simmons intended. He later lashed out at her on Twitter, “U need to stop, my flowers were to wish u well, not to make your boy jealous? 🙂 why put them on pg 6? I was out w: my girl, sorry I missed ur party. Don’t stir up [bleep]. Don’t be a publicity whore or push your boys buttons. Love you.” [NY Post]
• Actress Tasha Smith says she’s ready to make her dream movie. The Why Did I Get Married star wants to play Donna Summer in a biopic. When asked if she can sing, Smith replied, “No, I don’t, but neither did Angela Bassett when she played Tina Turner.” [Grio]
• Diana Ross is set to bring a little bit of glamour to this year’s annual Christmas in Washington special. The legendary diva will co-host the event with pop star Demi Lovato. The Christmas extravaganza will air on December 21st on TNT. [EURweb]
• Stevie Wonder is against war. The singer canceled an upcoming fundraiser for the Israel Defense Forces. “Given the current and very delicate situation in the Middle East, and with a heart that has always cried out for world unity, I will not be performing at the FIDF Gala,” said Wonder in a statement. “I am and have always been against war, any war, anywhere.” [Reuters]
You may like
Get The Essence Newsletter and Special Offers delivered to your inbox!