Here’s what we’re talking about this morning: Chris Brown, El DeBarge, Prince and Alicia Keys. Need we say more? The 2010 BET Awards were full of emotional high notes. Brown’s tear-filled performance during a Michael Jackson tribute had everyone talking, while El DeBarge’s crisp and clear vocals made for a stunning comeback. At five months pregnant, Alicia Keys wore platform sandals on stage and sang on top of a piano during the Prince tribute. Plus, is your teen addicted to social media?
- Singer El DeBarge stole the show last night at the 2010 BET Awards with a stunning comeback performance. He sang the classics — “I like It — and also debuted some new material. Click here to watch the behind-the-scenes footage of DeBarge working on his new album. [El DeBarge]
- Emotions were high at last night’s BET Awards. Trey Songz and Chris Brown showed that men weren’t afraid to cry. Everyone is talking about Brown’s emotional tribute to Michael Jackson and Songz shedding a tear while singing “Yo Side of the Bed.” He also threw a little “Purple Rain” into the song.
- Alicia Keys was named Artist of the Decade. Though five months pregnant, Keys performed in high heels and jumped on top of the piano during the Prince tribute, which made our Live Chat participants a little nervous, though they did love her shoes. Read what they had to say.
- Lenny Kravitz congratulated Prince last night on Facebook: “Prince, congratulations on your Lifetime Achievement Award. U are a friend & inspiration. May God continue 2 bless u. Love & respect, Lenny” he wrote. 2,700 people liked that. [Lenny Kravitz]
- Teenagers love their Twitter and Facebook, but are they addicted to social media? There’s new research suggesting that the amount of time they’re spending on social media may lead to depression and withdrawl symptoms if they cannot be connected to their electronic world. [Momlogic]
- Saturday’s U.S. vs. Ghana World Cup match had every restaurant packed in New York City, but everything went quiet when LeBron James walked in to Serafina, popular New York City bistro. “When he walked in, all you could hear was his name. It was like the game was paused,” said a witness. [Page Six]
- Contrary to earlier reports, Mariah Carey did not buy Michael Jackson’s sofa at an auction this weekend in las Vegas, though his famous crystal glove did sell for $190,000. [TMZ]
- Katherine Jackson may not get her allowance from Micheel Jackson’s estate because she is making money on side projects connected with her son. When the judge granted her $26,000 a month from MJ’s estate it was based on need. The judge may rethink his initial decision now that Mrs. Jackson is making other monies on projects like her latest book. [TMZ]
- Jay-Z and Beyonce were spotted celebrating her little sister Solange’s 24th birthday in New York City. [People]
- Gary Coleman’s ex-wife Shannon Price has released “loving” text messages sent to her by the late star. “I apologize for not calling. But I love you more than any other passion, want and/or need,” he wrote in a text message sent in February. [Radar Online]
- “Grown Ups” starring Chris Rock earned $41 million on it’s opening weekend, making it number two at the box office. [Associated Press]
- Do you have the hots for a co-worker? While dating at work is rarely a good idea, The Frisky has some fun ways to make your move (if you must) in the office. [The Frisky]
- More Broadway producers are going after African-American audiences because they see a market that hasn’t been tapped, reports The New York Times. [NY Times]
- An auction of Michael Jackson memorabilia sold close to a $1 million this past weekend. [Digital Spy]
You may like
Get The Essence Newsletter and Special Offers delivered to your inbox!