Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) announced his intentions on Tuesday to slow down the pace of his presidential campaign following his heart attack.
“We were doing, in some cases, five or six meetings a day, you know, three or four rallies,” he told reporters on Tuesday according to Politico. “I don’t think I’m going to do that.”
The 78-year-old stressed that he still intends to be “actively campaigning,” but perhaps at a more measured pace.
Of course, the senator’s health scare—which started as an announcement that he had been hospitalized and had received two stents inserted to address a blockage in an artery—prompted concerns over his run.
Still, according to Politico, Sanders said the latest development would not prompt him to release his medical records any sooner, noting that they will be disclosed “at the appropriate time.”
“We always planned to release them and we have more medical records, obviously, now,” he said.
Sanders acknowledged that he had not been listening to his body on the campaign trail, and wants to turn the incident into something that everyone can learn from.
“I must confess that I was dumb,” he said, adding that he was “more fatigued” than he usually was and that he “should have listened to those symptoms.”
“If there’s any message that I hope we can get out there is that I want people to pay attention to the symptoms,” he added. “When you’re hurting, when you’re fatigued, when you have pain in your chest, listen to it.”