We’ve been waiting for months on Amy Winehouse’s official cause of death, and today it was revealed she died of alcohol poisoning.

PHOTOS: Blue-Eyed Soul Singers We Love

According to E! Online, British coroner Suzanne Greenaway announced that the 27-year-old soul singer “suffered a ‘death by misadventure.'” More importantly, Greenaway’s findings indicated that Winehouse’s death was an “unintended consequence of accidental alcohol poisoning.”

The singer had five times the legal amount of alcohol in her system, which is 80mg in England.

PHOTOS: Dream Collabos

The “Back to Black” singer struggled with alcohol and drug abuse for years. In addition to finding alcohol in her system, the drug Librium, prescribed to help her relinquish symptoms of alcohol withdrawal, was discovered, but did not play a role in her death.

It’s clear that Winehouse was making great strides to get her health back in order, what a shame that one binge took her from us forever.


Loading the player...