Re-create Teyonah's sizzling updo with tips from her hairstylist.
I was sitting at home viewing my Instagram feed on Sunday night when, all of a sudden, my feed was flooded with images of Teyonah Parris at the SAG Awards. The natural hair community was having a fit over the glorious natural hair updo she sported on the red carpet!
To get the inside scoop on Parris’s hairstyle, I reached out to natural hair guru Felicia Leatherwood, the mane mastermind behind this look. Leatherwood shares her step-by-step tips below so you can re-create this sizzling style at home.
- I washed the hair with Dr. Miracles Conditioning Shampoo ($6, Dr. Miracles)
- Before blow drying the hair, I used Lawrence-Ray Concepts Leave-In Conditioner ($18.90) & Hair Polish Serum ($22.80, Lawrence-Ray Concepts) as my heat protectant.
- After blowing the hair out, the next step was to section the hair to start the fold and tuck. I separated the hair into four sections.
- For the first section at the nape of the neck, I ponytailed and folded under and tucked it with a closed hair pin, then I proceeded to the next section, moving up the back of the head and repeated the same.
- When we got closer to the sides, I used Hick’s Total Transformation Edges ($15, Amazon) to smooth down edges and continued folding and tucking each section.
- The front/top of the hair was divided into three parts and folded with Entwine Exotique Butter Creme Hydrator ($29, Ave You).
- I used my figures to roll the hair and get it smooth.
- Lastly, I finished the look with Lawrence-Ray Concepts Seal-It Firm Holding Spray ($15.60, Lawrence-Ray Concepts) & Fantasia IC Hair Polisher Mist ($7.50, drugstore.com) for shine.
There you have it, ladies! Are you going to try a fab natural hair updo of your own? Tell us about it in the comments section!
You may like
Get The Essence Newsletter and Special Offers delivered to your inbox!