Here's what we learned about Peckforton Castle.The 19th century venue where Ciara and Russell Wilson married yesterday.
On Wednesday, one couple we love to love tied the knot and it was everything and then some.
The newly minted Mr. and Mrs. Wilson, Ciara and Russell, swapped "I Do's" in a gorgeous--and we mean gorgeous--19th century castle in the United Kingdom and here some things you should know about the place that housed their wedded bliss.
1. Peckforton Castle is a medieval style venue on 36,000 acres of land which was completed in 1851.
2. The estate has 48 bedrooms, complete with a restaurant, wine cellar and spa.
3. During World War II, the castle was used to house 200 physically disabled children from the London area who were evacuated from harm.
4. Decor throughout the castle includes luxury and contemporary decor that includes classic elements of the venue’s original design aesthetic.
5. Photos taken in the castle are bound to be absolutely breathtaking with castle grounds, red sandstone walls, marble floors, vaulted dining rooms and the open fires all throughout.
6. For many years, the castle remained vacant—it only reopened in 1969.
7. Some famous film and television series’ have been shot on the castle grounds. Robin Hood, Sherlock Homes and Doctor Who all include backdrops from the Peckforton Castle.
8. In 1989, the castle was sold and used for business and wedding purposes. 2001 brought about another change for the castle as it became one of the government’s first venues “to be licensed for civil ceremonies held beyond the traditional registry office,” according to its website. As of 2006, the castle is once again family owned.
WANT MORE FROM ESSENCE? Subscribe to our daily newsletter for the latest in hair, beauty, style and celebrity news.