The House passed the bill 257-167. As a result, taxes will not increase for middle-class Americans.
See why we're having scrambled eggs with our brew:
• The government narrowly avoided yet another financial disaster. Late last night, the House passed a bill that won't raise taxes for millions middle-class Americans. The bills passed 257-167. Moments after the deal was reached, President Barack Obama said in a briefing that he will sign the bill from Hawaii. "A central promise of my campaign for president was to change the tax code that was too skewed towards the wealthy at the expense of working middle-class Americans," he followed up. [AP]
• Usher got some well-deserved R&R in Cancun this weekend. The R&B singer was spotted with girlfriend, Grace Miguel, and his kids enjoying the sun in Cancun before his concert. When the weekend was over, Usher jetted to Costa Rica for New Year's Eve. [NY Post]
• Russell Simmons says people need to stop craving material items. The mogul tweeted, "'Neediness' is the cause of suffering, therefore I recommend we practice needing nothing #SuperRich" and "It's very simple: When you're working your hardest, the world opens up to you." The tweets came hours before he threw a very lavish party in St. Barts. [NY Post]
• Rihanna and Chris Brown rang in the New Year together. The friendly couple Instagramed very similar photos from their bed. Rihanna's photo caption read, "Good morning! Still haven't slept lol #hello2013." [E! Online]
• The Jackson family debacle is officially a thing of the past. In fact, the case is now closed. According to TMZ, no charges could be filed because no Jackson family member would speak to investigators. As a result, no one will be prosecuted for the incident, including a physical altercation that left their family name in headlines. [TMZ]