Here's what we're chit-chatting about over coffee this morning: Brandy and her family have put out a gospel song called "Talk to Me." Nicki Minaj addresses gender roles in hip-hop, and she's making some good points about how men and women are viewed in the rap game. Magic Johnson will honor Blair Underwood and Bill Clinton for their HIV/AIDS work. Plus, it's nowhere near tax season but the IRS is starting early by coming after singer Kelly Rowland -- who allegedly owes $98,000 in back taxes. For more on Kelly Rowland's money troubles and to hear the Norwood family's new track, check out the rest of Coffee Talk... Here's what you had to say: Azucar commented via Facebook: "No one is above the law. Everyone should pay their taxes." Jeane wrote via Facebook: "Personally, I hate doing my taxes and paying bills. I do them only because I have to."
Here's what we're chit-chatting about over coffee:
- April 15th seems light years away, but the IRS is coming for the big names. Kelly Rowland is the latest superstar to have a lien filed against them. Ms. Rowland allegedly owes more than $98,000 in federal taxes. Ever wonder why so many wealthy people have money troubles? [Perez Hilton]
- The Magic Johnson Foundation will honor Blair Underwood and former President Bill Clinton on Dec. 1st at the 10th Annual Heroes in the Struggle Gala concert. The event honors those who work to raise awareness about HIV/AIDS in the Black community. [EURweb]
- Nicki Minaj is speaking out about gender roles in the rap game. In a clip of her MTV documentary, she says, "When I am assertive, I'm a bitch. When a man is assertive, he's a boss... No negative connotation behind 'bossed up,' but lots of negative connotation behind being a bitch." She's got a point. Why is there a double standard? [Vulture]
- Usher is being sued for allegedly stealing music from songwriter Wadena Pyatt. She claims she submitted "Caught Up" to Alicia Keys' MBK Entertainment label in 2003 and ended up hearing it on Usher's "Confessions" album and was not listed as a writer. She's seeking profits earned from the track. Question is, why is she just filing now? It's been six years since "Confessions." [EURweb]
- Nick Cannon has done the unthinkable. He's converted high-heel wearing Mariah into a ballet flats girls. She's given up wearing heels until the baby comes. It's probably better for her and the baby, good job Nick! In other Mariah news, her HSN line will debut today. "It's another creative outlet for me, something that I love... [The consumers] will really like the shoes. Even though we were thinking about comfort, they are still sexy and stylish," she said. [WWD]
- Justin Timberlake is hell bent on getting an Oscar nomination for his role in "The Social Network." He convinced Sony to pay for the advertising campaign to convince Academy Award voters that he's worth the nomination. The question is, how fair is it to those who deserve a nomination but won't get one because stars are paying big bucks to hopefully get on the ballot? [Star Pulse]
- Jay-Z's "Decoded" has landed at number three on the New York Times bestsellers list. Congrats to Mr. Carter on that. He's conquering many charts these days...[YBF]
- Fresh off of "DWTS," Brandy and her family have recorded an album (due out in early 2011) to go along with their TV show "Brandy & Ray J: A Family Business." "Talk to Me" is a Gospel song that includes every family member's voice. Check it out and let us know if you're jammin' or slamin' this one.