Not only is Maria Borges a regular face on the runway; she's also a champion of diversity in the beauty industry. In 2015, the former Forbes Africa top model redefined industry beauty standards by rocking her natural TWA (teeny weeny afro) in the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show.
In fact, her bold move inspired the brand to embrace every model’s natural texture hair the following year. Since then, we've seen other runway strutters like Herieth Paul and Jourdana Phillips follow suit while working with VS and other brands.
And to further solidify her role as a beauty game changer, Borges was just announced the new face of L’Oréal Paris, which she hopes to use as a platform to continue breaking beauty boundaries.
It’s not too often that we get to know models beyond the runway, but we’ll be witnessing more of this beauty's Black girl magic as her career unfolds. For those aren't familiar with the 24 year old stunner, here are five fast facts to know:
1. The 5'11 catwalker is a native of Angola, born and raised in the African country before getting discovered in the modeling contest "Elite Model Look."
2. She’s serious about her workouts. On her Instagram you’ll find her pumping iron and promoting healthy habits. We're definitely taking notes!
3. The Black beauty is also a nature lover, frequently posting snaps of her relaxing outside or in the middle of an outside workout.
4. But even with a busy schedule, she makes time to attend to her auntie duties.
5. And like any other human with blood pumping through their veins, she love indulging in not-so-healthy foods, like pizza. She’s literally a girl after our own heart.