A step-by-step recipe and video guide to how make a savory collard green quiche.
COLLARD GREEN QUICHE RECIPE
Makes 6 servings.
Pastry for 9-inch piecrust
4 large eggs
1 cup half-and-half
1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
1⁄2 teaspoon ground black or
1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
1⁄2 cup chopped onion
1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
1⁄3 cup fresh or canned mushrooms, chopped
3 cups chopped cooked fresh or frozen collard greens, drained and squeezed dry
11⁄4 cups grated mild cheddar cheese
3⁄4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Heat oven to 375F for metal pan or 350F for glass. Roll out dough; transfer to 9- or 10-inch quiche dish or pie pan. Ease dough onto bottom and sides. Using fork, prick bottom and sides. Partially bake until crust is just beginning to color, about 12 minutes. Let cool slightly. In large bowl, beat eggs and half-and-half lightly. Add salt (if desired), pepper, oregano, onion, green pepper, mushrooms and collard greens; set aside. In small bowl, mix cheeses together. Sprinkle half of cheese mixture on piecrust. Pour egg mixture on top of cheese. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Bake until knife inserted halfway between center and outside edge comes out clean, about 45 to 60 minutes. Let sit 10 minutes before cutting into wedges. Per serving: 521 calories.
1. Partially or fully bake the crust before filling to prevent it from becoming soggy.
2. Brushing the bottom and sides
of the baked crust with egg
yolk or butter before filling also
3. Watch carefully for doneness; do not overbake. If center is still somewhat moist when removed from the oven, as it sits, it will continue to bake from retained heat.
4. Overbaking can cause a quiche to curdle and turn watery.
5. Let the quiche sit for several minutes to firm up before slicing.
6. Quiche is delicious warm and at room temperature.
You may like
Get The Essence Newsletter and Special Offers delivered to your inbox!