Venus Williams turns heads at Wimbledon, J-Hud shoots new video and more...
This morning we are anxiously sipping on a smooth caramel latte as we catch up on the hottest headlines!
- Venus Williams hit the courts at Wimbledon over the weekend, but her tennis skills weren’t the focus of her performance — her outfit was. The fashionable tennis champ donned a woven, one-piece romper, with a cutout opening in the back. She accessorized her on-court look with a pendant necklace and statement ring. News reports from the UK called the getup the “Venus eye trap,” and claimed she has “terrible fashion sense.” Ouch. [Stuff]
- ESSENCE Music Festival headliner Jennifer Hudson is in front of the camera again, this time for the video of her next single, “No One Gonna Love You.” In rare form, Jennifer performed a few dance moves for her new video. “This is the first time that I’ve had the chance to dance,” said J-Hud in a behind-the-scenes video posted on her blog. “But it was probably the part I anticipated the most and I actually had a lot of fun.” [Jennifer Hudson]
- Liya Kebede is taking on a new role as the face of L’Oreal Paris. The Ethiopian model shared her excitement in a statement, saying, “It is important for me that I represent a brand that reflects my personality. I’m pleased to play a part in sharing the incredible stories of women of all origins and from all regions of the world.” Congrats, Liya! [US Weekly]
- Beyonce performed her first concert in over a year last night in Nice, France. The songstress performed a wide array of her hits, including new material from her soon-to-be released album, “4.” [Rap-Up]
- Soul singer Sam Cooke will be honored with his own Chicago street. City officials will name part of 36th Street and Cottage Grove Avenue “Sam Cooke Way” in honor of the legendary musician, who died in a motel shooting in Los Angeles in 1964. He was 33. [The Grio]
- Speaking of legends, Michael Jackson’s brothers are in talks to get together for a reunion tour. Jermaine Jackson talked about the plans during an appearance at Madame Tussauds museum on Monday. “We’re meeting today about putting a tour together just to play the music because it’s such wonderful music. We need to continue to play this music because it’s healing for us,” he added. [CNN
- 50 Cent is taking a break from writing rhymes to write a children’s book on the dangers of bullying. The book will be titled “Playground,” and draws on his own experiences dealing with bullies as a kid. “This book would have been very helpful for me growing up and now that I have a teenage son, it is my goal that this will have a positive influence on all teenagers,” said 50 in a statement. [The Hollywood Reporter]
You may like
Get The Essence Newsletter and Special Offers delivered to your inbox!