Many top lawmakers have come forward and said there is no evidence that President Obama set up a wiretap at Trump Tower.
President Donald Trump is standing by his accusation that former President Barack Obama wiretapped his phones at Trump Tower, despite a number of high ranking congressmembers refuting his claims.
“There is no question that there were surveillance techniques used throughout this,” White House spokesman Sean Spicer said during a press briefing on Thursday.
In a series of tweets earlier this month, the president claimed that Obama had wiretapped his phones during the election.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter for the latest in hair, beauty, style and celebrity news.
Spicer’s statements comes as key leaders of both the Senate and the House have publicly said that there is no evidence of any type of wiretapping.
The Republican and Democratic leaders of the Senate Intelligence Committee said in a statement Thursday they saw “no indications” of surveillance. Just a day earlier, House of Representatives Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes told a news conference there was no evidence.
“I don't think there was an actual tap of Trump Tower,” he said. Nunes is a key Republican lawmaker that was part of Trump’s transition team.
And now even Speaker Paul Ryan, the top republican lawmaker of the House, has had to comment on the issue.
"The point is, the intelligence committees in their continuing, widening, ongoing investigation of all things Russia, got to the bottom - at least so far - with respect to our intelligence community that - that no such wiretap existed," he said.
Obama denied the claims soon after Trump made them. But it appears the president is buckling down with this story. We’ll see how far he takes it