U.S. Supreme Court denies Davis' appeal for stay of execution.
Here’s what we’re talking about this morning:
- Despite his pleas of innocence, and the unwavering support of millions, the U.S. Supreme Court denied death-row inmate Troy Davis’ last-minute appeal for a stay of execution. He was executed in Georgia last night. Davis maintained his innocence till the end. “The incident that night was not my fault, I did not have a gun,” he said, before being executed, according to witnesses. “I did not personally kill your son, father and brother. I am innocent.” [PEOPLE]
- Could Russell Simmons be the next African-American to own his own network? Possibly. The hip hop mogul tells the wall Street Journal that he is working on buying a TV network that will cross ethnic lines. “There’s a lack of integration in Hollywood, and I want to address that,” he said. [Wall Street Journal]
- We’ve been eagerly anticipating Jennifer Hudson’s next single, and now the diva has announced that it will be “I Got This” from her latest album, “I Remember Me.” We love the motivational theme in this song. [That Grape Juice]
- Music executive Kevin Liles (Trey Songz’s manager) and his wife Erika are proud new parents after welcoming a baby girl this week. They named her Genevieve. [The YBF]
- After a month on the charts, Jay-Z and Kanye West’s “Watch the Throne” has gone platinum. That makes 12 platinum albums for Jay, and six for Kanye. Not bad at all. [BET]
- We were blown away by “X-Factor” contestant Stacy Francis’ rendition of “Natural Woman.” Check it out below:
You may like
Get The Essence Newsletter and Special Offers delivered to your inbox!