Happy Friday Eve!
Now that we’ve made it over the hump, we’re one step closer to holiday break. Catch up on this morning’s news with our quick read.
1. Venus Williams will not be charged in a fatal car crash that killed one. Investigators say no one is to blame for the crash and based on Florida state statutes, no one will be charged. Palm Beach Gardens police released an 18-page investigation detailing the accident that took place in June. (Sun Sentinel)
2. Nelly and his rape accuser may be headed to court. Both have reportedly stated that they will seek legal action against the other. Nelly’s accuser says she’s suing for defamation and alleged sexual assault, adding that the rapper’s team went on a smear campaign to paint her as an attention seeker. (Vulture)
3. Mary Norwood has finally conceded Atlanta’s mayoral race. Norwood lost to Keisha Lance Bottoms, later insisted on a recount, then challenged whether an annexed neighborhood should be counted. Norwood said in a taped statement, “For the future of this city, I believe it is the right thing to do to move on and hold a new administration accountable to serve this great city well.” (11 Alive)
4. Two Confederate statues in Memphis came down Wednesday night. Statues of Confederate President Jefferson Davis and Nathan Bedford Forrest, the Ku Klux Klan’s first grand wizard and a Confederate general who orchestrated the massacre of Black soldiers at Fort Pillow, were removed from two parks in the city. (The Root)
5. The mother of former NBA player Chris Bosh has been arrested for exploiting a disabled man in a drug trafficking operation. Frieda Bosh, who’s home was recently raided by law enforcement, was allegedly using the disabled man’s disability checks to pay rent. (TMZ)
6. The LA Rams are giving back this holiday season. The Rams recently teamed up with LA Family Housing charity to surprise a homeless family with a full furnished 4-bedroom apartment. The family, who lost their belongings in the recent wildfires, were also given a Christmas tree and gifts. (TMZ)
7. A car crashed into pedestrians in Melbourne, Australia, injuring 18 people. Authorities say the attack is not linked to terrorism and that the driver had a history of mental health issues and drug abuse. (CNN)
8. Rihanna and E-40 will perform at Top Dawg Entertainment’s annual holiday party, where entrance will cost attendees an unwrapped gift. TDE will be holding a toy drive at the event, which is free, and will take place on Dec. 21 at the Nickerson Gardens housing project in Los Angeles. (The Fader)
8. Another foodborne illness has hit Chipotle. The fast food chain has been attempting to rebuild trust after a series of illnesses in 2015, but another potential outbreak in Los Angeles has seen the company take a hit. A health agency is currently investigating the situation. (Bloomberg)
9. Baller Wives star Miko Grimes thought she could drag Oprah Winfrey, but the internet wasn’t having it. Grimes commented on a post from comedian Lil Duval about a fake Oprah giveaway, clearly missing the mark about the post, writing, “I agree! People always ask me why I don’t like Oprah. This is one of the examples. She also doesn’t speak up for us.” (BET)