Get your daily dose of news with this morning’s round-up.
– DMX is headed back to jail after failing a drug test, a violation of his probation stemming from a tax evasion case. The rapper was taken into custody Tuesday, where a Manhattan judge ruled he was a flight risk. DMX, who was supposed to be completing rehab, tested positive for cocaine, opiates, and oxycodone. (TMZ)
– Netflix has released the trailer for its new docu-series Rapture. The series, produced by Mass Appeal, follows the lives of rappers like Nas, Rapsody, 2 Chainz, and more. (YouTube)
– Teyana Taylor has revealed that her upcoming album is complete and executive produced by Kanye West. No release date has been set, but Taylor confirmed that the album will likely drop this year. (Oyster)
– Cardi B is starring in a new Super Bowl ad for Amazon. The rapper shared a sneak peek of the spot on Instagram, which shows her opening up an Amazon box and shouting, “Let’s get it started!” (Instagram)
– RuPaul’s Drag Race star Peppermint is making Broadway history. Peppermint will make her debut in the Go-Go’s musical Head Over Heels, becoming the first transgender woman to originate a principal role on Broadway. (Playbill)
– Lena Waithe’s The Chi has been renewed for a second season. Along with the renewal, the show has signed on a new executive producer and showrunner, Ayanna Floyd Davis, who wrote the third episode of the series and has written for and produced shows like Empire and Private Practice. (Variety)
– WME has responded to Terry Crews’ lawsuit after the actor sued the agency and its former head of its Motion Picture Group Adam Venit. In response to Crews’ nine-count lawsuit, the agency claims that they acted swiftly and seriously to the actor’s claims and says they believed everything was okay after Crews allegedly accepted Venit’s apology. (Deadline)
– Daniel Kaluuya has called his Oscar nomination for Get Out a “dream.” The British actor shared, “It’s crazy. It’s a relief…Especially for a film I believe in…It’s like the dream. I am just so happy. I am so happy for everyone. I am happy that Get Out got nominated for [Best] Film. I am happy that Jordan got nominated—Jordan got nominated three times!” (E! News)
You may like
Get The Essence Newsletter and Special Offers delivered to your inbox!