It’s Friday Eve! Celebrate being one step closer to the weekend with our daily round-up of news you can use.
– Rihanna took to Instagram to share a heartfelt message following her cousin’s funeral. “Sleep well buddy..we are at peace knowing you’re in a better place than we are,” she wrote in an Instagram story. The singer’s cousin, Tavon Alleyne, was shot and killed the day after Christmas while walking near his house. (Vibe)
– The Recording Academy is recognizing Tina Turner with the Lifetime Achievement Award. Turner will receive the award along with Queen, Emmylou Harris, and Neil Diamond. (Rolling Stone)
– Cardi B and Bruno Mars are set to perform at the Grammys. The pair will bring their remix of ”Finesse” to the stage, joining a roster of performers including SZA, Khalid, and Childish Gambino. (Billboard)
– Former Bad Boy rapper Shyne and his wife have welcomed a baby girl. The rapper shared on Instagram, “Welcome our princess Naomi. Thank the Creator of the universe for delivering you to us. Love at first sight.” (Instagram)
– Kanye West and his dad, Ray West, recently took a trip to the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture. A visitor snapped the pair strolling through the museum as a guide explained the collection. (Billboard)
– ICE is looking for new people to join the team, but the law enforcement agency may have some trouble. The agency tweeted about open positions on Wednesday and was immediately roasted as followers called out their work under the Trump administration. (Twitter)
– Floyd Mayweather doesn’t fully understand what the #MeToo movement is about. In an interview, the boxer, who was charged with two counts of domestic violence in 2002, cracks jokes about the movement. Later, he says that sexual harassment is not “cool at all” and victims should “pray about it.” (Men’s Health)
– A new study has found that positive feelings about blackness improve the academic performance of Black girls. The study reports that young Black women with “strong racial identity” were more engaged and enthusiastic about academics. (The Root)
You may like
Get The Essence Newsletter and Special Offers delivered to your inbox!