This may be the last Monday many of you will spend in the office before the New Year and what better way to spend it than catching up on news you may have missed over the weekend.
Here’s what’s trending in news today:
1. Diddy is interested in purchasing the Carolina Panthers. The team is up for sale after owner Jerry Richardson resigned following sexual misconduct allegations. On Sunday, the hip hop mogul tweeted his interest in buying the team and already may have a partner in NBA star Steph Curry. Diddy has also thrown Colin Kaepernick’s name around as someone he’d like to sign and the former 49er is also interested in buying in to the ownership group. (Daily News)
2. Power has returned to Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport after one of the country’s busiest hubs lost power for ll hours. The loss caused numerous flight cancelations and delays, with nearly 30,000 people affected by grounded flights. (NBC News)
3. Former president—or current if you’re still holding on—Barack Obama has rekindled his bromance with Prince Harry. The two sat down for an interview for BBC Radio 4 and discussed building platforms for the next generation of leaders. The interview will broadcast on Dec. 27. (CNN)
4. Cory Booker has upped security after receiving a death threat. Details on the threat have not been released, but New Jersey police were notified by U.S. Capitol Police. Members of the Police Division’s Executive Protection Unit have been assigned to look after Booker and his family. (HuffPost)
5. Missy Elliott joined Janet Jackson during her tour stop in Atlanta. Both looked flawless and brought down the house as they took the stage together. (The Shade Room)
6. The wife of former NBA player Lorenzen Wright has been arrested in connection with his murder. In 2010, Wright’s body was discovered in Memphis, TN with multiple gunshot wounds. The former NBA player’s mother believes his $1 million life insurance policy may have been a motive. (Vibe)
7. The murder weapon involved in Tupac Shakur’s death has mysteriously disappeared. The circumstances are a bit murky, but the weapon, which was believed to be in possession of the L.A. County Sheriff’s Dept., was never transferred to the Las Vegas Police Dept., where the case remains unsolved. Now, the gun has mysteriously vanished. (TMZ)
8. Khalid has opened up about his struggles with mental illness. The singer took to Twitter to share his battle and revealed that he may take a break from social media. (Twitter)
9. Jaden Smith hit the smoothest moonwalk during his performance at the 2017 Rolling Loud California festival and Twitter lost it. One user even called it the “cleanest moonwalk I’ve ever seen since Michael Jackson.” (Twitter)
You may like
Get The Essence Newsletter and Special Offers delivered to your inbox!