Three teen girls who were involved in the fatal school fight that claimed the life of 16-year-old student Amy Joyner last Thursday have been suspended.
According to CBS News, school district spokeswoman Kathy Demarest said the teens, who are believed to have attacked Amy in the school bathroom and eventually slammed her head into a sink, were removed from Howard High School of Technology in Wilmington, DE last week following the horrific incident. The fight was captured on cell phone video by another student and screen shots of the clip captured have since surfaced on the internet.
As the investigation into the shocking confrontation continues, Wilmington Police Chief Bobby Cummings addressed residents during a local town hall meeting this week to reassure community members that “charges will be filed and individuals will be held accountable for their actions.” Police have also advised people to be cautious of scammers that have apparently been setting up fraudulent GoFundMe pages in light of Amy’s death.
Friends and family will be able to offer condolences to Amy’s family and pay their respects at St. Paul UAME Church in Wilmington this Sunday, however, no public service or public viewing will be held. The family expressed their appreciation for the outpouring of love and support via a brief message in an obituary listed on the website of the funeral home that will handle the arrangements.
Police Chief Cummings says the department hopes to have “closure” by the end of this week.