It’s the weekend! Here are the stories that are keeping the internet buzzing today.
1. President Donald Trump took to Twitter Saturday morning to take another jab at Congresswoman Frederica Wilson, calling her “wacky” and accusing her of “killing the Democratic party”. Video emerged Friday showing that White House chief of staff John Kelly had made false claims about Wilson after she criticized the president for his condolence call to the Gold Star family of Sgt. La David Johnson. (Washington Post)
2. Singer Justine Skye took a knee while singing the national anthem Friday night at the Brooklyn Nets’ season opener. The Brooklyn native posted a video of the incident on Instagram, writing that she did not expect to be invited back but had to let her “voice be heard.” (Instagram)
3. A new study found that body cameras have little influence on police officers’ use of force. Researchers at the Lab @ DC say they could “not detect any statistically significant effect of the body-worn cameras.” Many police departments nationwide have been rapidly adopting body cameras as a response to high profile shootings, though there is little scientific evidence that they will make a difference to policing. (NPR)
4. Some of our favorite black youtubers were at Howard University Tuesday for the first-ever #YouTubeBlack FanFest. #YoutubeBlack is the platform’s latest effort to support the black creator community on Youtube. Attracting over 1400 people, the debut #YoutubeBlack Fanfest hosted live events with 12 youtube creators including Amber’s Closet, Dainá and Dormtainment. (Youtube)
5. If you are heading to the movie theaters this weekend, Boo 2! A Madea Halloween is the movie to watch! Despite most movies flopping in the box office this weekend, Tyler Perry’s latest Halloween offering looks to pull a respectable $21.5 million –already exceeding its $20 million budget! Will you go watch it? (Deadline)Share :