Good morning! Before tackling the day and the tasks ahead, check out this morning’s round-up of must-know news.
1. BuzzFeed’s Quinta Brunson is getting her own show on Facebook. Quinta Vs. Everything will premiere Nov. 24 as Facebooks gets into scripted video. Viewers will watch as Quinta steps into the ring and battles every issue and roadblock in her life, big or small. (Twitter)
2. Congresswoman Maxine Waters says Colin Kaepernick deserves respect. Paparazzi caught up with Waters, who says she loves Kaepernick’s GQ cover. The congresswoman feels the former quarterback has “absolutely sacrificed an awful lot” during his protest of the national anthem and believes people like Kaepernick should be “respected and honored.” (TMZ)
3. The FBI reports that hate crimes rose 5 percent in 2016, particularly crimes against Jews, Muslims, and African-Americans. The months leading up to the election also saw a spike in white nationalist activity. (Al Jazeera)
4. Tyrese may end up representing himself in court after his lawyer called it quits. The singer has another court hearing on Tuesday, but is currently representing himself after his lawyer filed for a substitution. (Page Six)
5. Sammy Sosa’s recent appearance has everyone wondering if the baseball legend has been bleaching his skin and, never one to bite his tongue, T.I. is chiming in. The rapper told paparazzi that he believes Sosa’s alleged skin bleaching is a form of self-hate. (TMZ)
6. Five men brutally attacked 26-year-old Sabrina Hooks and her girlfriend at a fast food restaurant in Los Angeles, after Hooks tried to defend her girlfriend when they began verbally harassing her with homophobic slurs. The attack is being investigated as a hate crime. Hooks was hospitalized with serious injuries after being repeatedly kicked and punched in the head. (NewNowNext)
You may like
Get The Essence Newsletter and Special Offers delivered to your inbox!