Johnny Nunez/Getty Images
Happy Friday! End the week with this morning’s round-up of hot topics.
1. HBO has cut ties with Russell Simmons following sexual assault allegations against the media mogul. The network announced that the Def Comedy Jam reboot, All Def Comedy, will premiere as planned, but Simmons will no longer be attached. (Vulture)
2. Marc Jacobs and Naomi Campbell have teamed up for World Aids Day, bringing fans a limited edition t-shirt with proceeds going to the United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS. (Refinery29)
3. An unconscious patient with a “do not resuscitate” tattoo has caused a dilemma at a Florida hospital. The medical staff ignored the request, but brought the issue up with the hospital’s ethics team, launching debate about how cases like these should be handled. (Gizmodo)
4. Seems Taraji P. Henson was a big fan of Childish Gambino’s Awaken My Love! The actress gushed about the album and Gambino’s musical talents during Billboard’s Women In Music Awards, even comparing the rapper and singer to Prince. “He sounds like Prince sometimes and later, he’ll sound like Parliament,” she said. “He’s just everything to me, I love that kid.” (Vibe)
5. Vic Mensa has criticized artists who normalize drug abuse in their music. Mensa discussed the dangers of the issue in a recent interview and says he regrets past lyrics of his own that glorify drug abuse. (Billboard)
6. Kehlani has confirmed that she has “a jam” on Cardi B’s upcoming album. And, while she didn’t drop any more info, Kehlani had nothing but praise for the “Bodak Yellow” rapper. (The Fader)
7. Mariah Carey has taught us all a lesson in reclaiming our time. The singer landed a $5-10 million “inconvenience fee” from ex-fiancé James Packer. She’s also been seen rocking the engagement ring he gave her on her middle finger. (ET)
8. Rihanna had the best response to a fan who questioned why she wasn’t casting more trans models. The singer says she doesn’t have separate casting calls for trans people “just like I don’t do straight non trans women castings.” The singer added that she has worked with many trans women and will continue to do so, adding that she doesn’t think it’s fair to use trans people as marketing tools. (The Shade Room)
9. It will come as no surprise that the most liked Instagram photo of the year was Beyoncé’s pregnancy photo. The singer’s pic racked up 11.1 million likes. (The Verge)
You may like
Get The Essence Newsletter and Special Offers delivered to your inbox!