We’ve made it over the hump! Thursday, which we like to call Friday eve, has arrived and it’s smooth sailing from here on out as we get closer to the weekend. Jumpstart your morning with news you can use as you head to the office.
1. Former president Barack Obama did his civic duty on Wednesday, reporting for jury duty at Chicago’s Daley Center. A crowd gathered to get a glimpse of Obama, who unfortunately—or fortunately, depending on how you feel about jury duty—did not get selected for duty. (Chicago Tribune)
2. Emmy-winning writer and The Chi creator Lena Waithe has been named OUT’s Artist of the Year. Waithe became the first Black woman, and first Black queer woman, to win an Emmy for Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series when she took home the award earlier this year. (OUT)
3. Chris Rock is reportedly in hot water over a rape joke that no one found amusing at New York’s Comedy Cellar. Rock allegedly joked that he can’t hire women anymore because “they cry rape because they want money.” (Page Six)
4. 50 Cent poked fun at Tyrese for allegedly lying about Will and Jada Pinkett Smith giving him $5 million. The actor and rapper posted an image of Tyrese and Will on Instagram with the caption, “Wait so this fool just made some s–t up.” (Instagram)
5. Backstage Capital, which funds ideas from people of color, has invested $50,000 in Kehlani’s new startup, Flora. The startup focuses on health and wellness for people ages 16-25. (TechCrunch)
6. Remy Ma has teamed up with Lil Kim for new track “Wake Me Up.” Fans believe the new single takes a swipe at Nicki Minaj as both women have had beef with the chart-topping rapper. The new single is from Remy’s forthcoming album, 7 Winters & 6 Summers. (Billboard)