Check out why we’re sipping a caramel frappe as we read today’s headlines.
- Oprah will be honored with the Academy’s Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award for her philanthropic efforts. James Earl Jones will also be awarded with an honorary Oscar for his outstanding career, which includes appearing in over 50 movies. Congrats to both! [Huffington Post]
- Kelly Rowland’s third album, “Here I Am,” has landed at the #3 spot on the Billboard 200 chart. This is Kelly’s second time at the top of the charts this year, after her hit single “Motivation” reached the #1 spot. [Hits Daily Double]
- Naturi Naughton is headed to the silver screen in “The Wolverine,” the follow-up to 2009’s “X-Men Origins: Wolverine.” Naturi will reportedly play Dr. Cecilia Reyes who has the superpower ability to create a force field around her body. The film is set to be released summer 2012. [Brown Sista]
- Remember when we told you that Aretha Franklin was being sued by songwriter Norman West for copyright infringement? Aretha is finally speaking out on the lawsuit, saying she is “extremely disappointed” by the whole thing. The Queen of Soul also said that Norman has “unmitigated gall,” considering how she’s “personally assisted and advised him over the past 15 years.” [M Live]
- Although they are still glowing from their wedding just six weeks ago, Toya and Mickey “Memphitz” Wright have scored their first endorsement deal as a couple. The newlyweds have signed to represent Ampro Industries, Inc., creator of the infamous Ampro Pro Styl hair gel. [Straight from the A]
- Jay-Z and Kanye West are busy getting ready for “Watch the Throne.” Just one day after their ultra VIP listening party in NYC, it was announced that 20 dates have been slashed from their upcoming tour. [Billboard]