Oprah settles in as CEO of OWN, Alicia Keys signs on to produce a Broadway show, and more.
It’s Friday and as we head into the weekend, we are reading these top headlines.
- It looks like Oprah is nicely settling into her new role as CEO of OWN. The Big O shared a photo of herself at her new desk, writing, “Here I am ‘CEO-ing’ in my new office at OWN in LA!!” Oprah sure looks thrilled to be doing what she loves, although we’re certain remodeling that office is going to be on the top of her list! [Oprah’s Twitter]
- Alicia Keys has signed on to work on her first Broadway project. She will co-produce the play “Stick Fly,” which chronicles the adventures of an affluent African-American family who come together to spend a weekend in Martha’s Vineyard. The play debuts in December. [Broadway]
- Terrence J is taking a hiatus from “106 & Park” to work on Steve Harvey’s new film, “Think Like a Man.” During his month-long absence, the show plans to bring in special guest co-hosts such as Dwight Howard and Lamar Odom. [Complex]
- Record exec Kevin Liles is using his summer vacation for a good cause. He’s launched a Summer Business Academy for Students at Morgan State University, where high-school students will spend two weeks learning entrepreneurial skills. [All Hip Hop]
- Kanye and Jay-Z only announced their “Watch the Throne” tour last week, but due to popular demand, more dates are already being added to the tour. The new schedule will be revealed on August 1, just one day before tickets go on sale. [Hip Hop Wired]
- Brandy is filming a documentary about her meteoric rise to fame in the 90s and life in the spotlight. “On My Own” sheds a new light on the singer’s career and even hints that the star is ready for her big comeback. Take a look at the clip as you start off the weekend! [That Grape Juice]
You may like
Get The Essence Newsletter and Special Offers delivered to your inbox!