It's Friday and we are winding down the workweek with a cool iced coffee as we catch up on this morning's news!
It’s Friday and we are winding down the workweek with a cool iced coffee as we catch up on this morning’s news!
- Although Oprah has been taking some time off since ending her 25-year run on daytime television, she is still plotting her next move for OWN. So what’s on her to-do list? She wants to interview O.J. Simpson. Not only does she want to interview him, she wants him to confess what happened to Nicole Brown Simpson. “I am going to make that happen,” said Oprah. If anyone can do it, she definitely can. [The Hollywood Reporter]
- This Father’s Day weekend, our favorite celeb dad, Steve Harvey, will spend the day mentoring Dallas teens. Harvey will host the 3rd Annual Steve Harvey Mentoring Weekend for Young Men, which will expose 125 young men to principles of manhood, educational workshops and team-building activities. Way to go, Steve! We love hearing about celebs giving back. [EURweb]
- Beyonce has her sights set on a solid debut for her upcoming album, “4,” despite the album leaking three weeks before its release date. Rumors that the album would be pushed back because of the leak turned out to be false. Not only is the album still coming out on June 28th as planned, but her label execs are reportedly working out a deal with iTunes to sell “4” for only $0.49. Yes, you read that right — $0.49. [Global Grind]
- Hollywood heartthrob Blair Underwood will hit the Broadway stage in the play “A Streetcar Named Desire.” He will play the role of Stanley Kowalski. This will be the actor’s Broadway debut, with the play premiering in spring 2012. We will definitely be getting front row tickets to that! [The Hollywood Reporter]
- Speaking of famous firsts, Miss Nicki Minaj finally scored a top 10 single on the Hot 100 charts as a solo artist. Her hit “Super Bass,” the fifth single from her debut album “Pink Friday,” jumped from #11 to #10 on the Billboard charts last week. Congrats, Nicki! [Billboard]
- Jessica White has not been exhibiting model behavior lately! The Victoria’s Secret model allegedly assaulted a woman in a New York nightclub. Jessica appeared in Manhattan Criminal Court on Tuesday where the charges were dropped, but she still has to attend anger management classes, pay $490 in fines, and perform three days of community service. No more getting buck in the club, Miss Jessica! [Black Voices]
- La Toya Jackson is gearing up for the release of her new memoir, “Starting Over.” In the book, La Toya opens up about her brother’s death and his final days, which she says she learned about after speaking in-depth with Michael’s children. Girlfriend says she even confronted Dr. Conrad Murray herself, asking him for answers about her brother’s death. “Starting Over” goes on sale June 25. Sounds like a must-read for the summer. [The Grio]
You may like
Get The Essence Newsletter and Special Offers delivered to your inbox!