On Friday, Naomi Campbell was found guilty of assault and given a six-month suspended prison sentence following a 2009 incident where Campbell reportedly hit a paparazzi photographer, E! News reports.
The British-Jamaican supermodel is said to have assaulted the photographer with her purse after she spotted him snapping candids of her and then boyfriend Vladimir Doronin, a Russian billionaire.
The photographer claimed the assault landed him in the hospital for several days after his eye had been scratched in the clash.
It appears that the case was initially settled outside of court. However, Italian prosecutor Francesco Massara ordered the trial to move forward due to the intensity of the charges citing what he calls his commitment to the public interest.
In a statement to E! News, Campbell’s lawyer, Guido Carlo Alleva said they have every intention on appealing the judgement.
“We are appealing the ruling surrounding the 2009 incident. Due to the ongoing legal process, we cannot discuss the matter further at this time,” Alleva said.