A judge declared a mistrial Monday afternoon in the fatal shooting of Walter Scott by ex-South Carolina police officer Michael Slager, after the jury failed to come to a unanimous verdict after four days of deliberations, NBC News reports.
Circuit judge Clifton Newman confirmed the jury’s decision in South Carolina, saying, “The court therefore must declare a mistrial in this case and I so declare that is case is mistried.”
The jury consisted of 11 white men and women and one black man.
Slager had been charged with murder in Scott’s killing. If convicted, he faced 30 years to life in prison.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter for the latest in hair, beauty, style and celebrity news.
Scott’s killing last April was captured in a video that went viral at the height of the national debate over police brutality and racial bias. He was shot five times in the back while running from Slager during a routine traffic stop.
Slager’s defense claimed that he feared for his life when Scott gained control of the patrolman’s stun gun.
Despite the outcome of the trial, the prosecution says it plans to try the case again. Slager also has to face a federal trial next year over charges including violating civil rights laws and obstruction of justice.
Injustice will not prevail,” said Judy Scott, Walter Scott’s mother, after the mistrial was declared. “He will get his just reward.”Share :