- Lauren London is back in front of the cameras with a role in “Tyler Perry’s Madea’s Big Happy Family. She’s also starring in “Single Ladies,” alongside LisaRaye McCoy and Stacey Dash. [BV]
- Halle Berry is the first Black woman to make the cover of Vogue’s September issue since 1989. She spoke about “what that means for a woman of color and what that means in the fashion world [and] what that means to pop culture.” [Jezebel]
- 40 and over is the new fabulous. Want proof? Just look at September Magazine covers. ESSENCE features 40-year-old Naomi Campbell and 55-year-old Iman. Vogue chose 44-year-old Halle Berry for its cover and Glamour went with Jennifer Lopez, 41.
- Singer Lloyd will release the first single on Polow Da Don’s Zone 4 label. The sexy tune is called “Lay It Down.” [Interscope]
- Ethiopian-born MC K’NAAN announced the dates for his fall tour. He’ll kick things off in Philly on October 8 and finish up in Seattle on October 30. [KM]
- Once again, Mos Def and Jeffrey Wright are teaming up. The pair appeared in 2002 on Broadway’s “Topdog/Underdog.” Now the duo will act in John Guare’s new play, “A Free Man of Color,” opening on November 18th. Get your tickets. [NYMag]
- Joe Jackson apparently feels mistreated nowadays. Jackson’s lawyers have filed papers claiming that the judge was in the wrong for stopping Jackson from ousting the executors of Michael’s estate. [TMZ]
- Sherri Shepherd is rolling in the dough. She only works 16 hours a week and banks $54,767 a month from working on “The View.” [TMZ]
- No longer daddy’s little girl, Montana Fishburne has reportedly been kicked out of Lawrence’s life. He is reportedly severing ties with his daughter until she turns her life around. He even jabbed, “You used your last name. No one uses their real name in porn.” [TMZ]
- RHONJ star Danielle Staub won’t be returning to the show. Jezebel is reporting that it may have something to do with her sanity, or lack thereof. [Jezebel]
- An appeals court has overturned California’s same-sex marriage ruling. It was announced earlier this month that same-sex marriages could be performed as soon as this Wednesday, but now that won’t happen. A hearing is set to begin in the first week of December. [CNN]
- Michelle Obama is preparing to hit the campaign trail this fall. The First Lady will make select appearances for Democratic candidates during the midterm election season. [LA Times]
- Facebook’s new “dislike” button is a total scam.
- Tyra Banks apologized for a promo clip of “America’s Net Top Model,” in which Banks goes gaga for a 6’2″ model with the “smallest waist in the world.” [People]
You may like
Get The Essence Newsletter and Special Offers delivered to your inbox!