- It’s Fantasia’s birthday. The R&B singer is the big 3-0!
- Chris Brown has been hitting the studio with Drake, who was rumored to have dated the singer/dancer’s ex-girlfriend Rihanna. [Extra]
- Lauryn Hill update: During her NPR interview, Hill pointed out that she has five kids, and that has contributed to her dropping out of the music business. Her youngest is 2 years old and is only now ready to be left alone for a little while. “I’m starting to get excited again,” Hill says of possibly ending her hiatus. [Marquee]
- She may be saying goodbye to her talk show, but Tyra Banks is not resting. The supermodel turned reality TV/ talk show authority is venturing into the World Wide Web, launching a fashion and beauty site. [Stylist]
- James Earl Jones, with his inimitable deep voice, is back on Broadway starring in “Driving Miss Daisy.” [NYT]
- Are you a Foursquare “mayor”? Due to your frequent “check ins,” the social network is now worth $100 million. [Gawker]
- A film based on President Obama’s childhood in Indonesia opens tonight in Jakarta. [WSJ]
- Think Jay-Z is courting LeBron James for the New Jersey Nets? The two were spotted having dinner along with Beyonce at New York’s Waverly Inn. [PageSix]
- Larry King said he “would like to end “Larry King Live.” Gasp! [CNN]
- Did you doubt for a moment that Serena Williams would make it to the finals at Wimbledon? “Pity her opponents,” ESPN’s Ravi Ubha writes. [ESPN]
- While in New Orleans, Lenny Kravitz joined the Voice of Praise Choir to sing his song “Fly Away.” Check out his Twitvid below. [TwitVid]
- Speaking of New Orleans, we’ve got 2010 ESSENCE Music Festival fever! Who are you excited to see perform?
You may like
Get The Essence Newsletter and Special Offers delivered to your inbox!