Cyber Monday is here! The Internet equivalent to Black Friday is tailor-made for those of us who loathe waking up at the crack of dawn to go shopping. The good news is e-tailers are treating Cyber Monday (and us) like a big deal by offering deep discounts, which means you can still score from the comfort of your home or cubicle.
Last year online shoppers spent over $800 million on Cyber Monday and more revenue is expected this year. But before you get clicking, check out our five tips for making the best of your time online.
Click on familiar sites
There are lots of cyber-predators lurking about on Cyber Monday so go with secured sites that begin with “https” not “http”. Also make sure the site has contact info in case you have any trouble down the line. Use a credit card instead of a debit card because it offers you more protection.
Aggregate for shopping coupons and price alerts
Sites like couponwinner.com and pricespider.com are ideal if you don’t have time to trawl the web in search of bargains. Couponwinner.com has nearly 9,000 retailers offering everything from free shipping coupons to money off while Pricespider.com alerts you when desired items are discounted.
Start shopping at midnight
It’s like braving the lines on Black Friday, except you’re at home. Like any good sale, Cyber Monday discounts won’t last, so if you find a good deal, click on it and checkout, fast.
Use social media
More and more retailers are using technology to send out alerts about promotions or free shipping. Retailers like Best Buy and Sears even have customer service agents ready to tackle your tweets so check your social media sites to stay in the loop.
Keep refreshing throughout the day
Retailers know you’ll be clicking throughout the day and may post new discounts at certain times, so keep refreshing. In this case it’s always best to use a computer with a high-speed connection.
Where to find Cyber Monday deals:
- Barnes and Nobles is offering a $10 gift certificate
- Sears is offering $5 off any $50 purchase, plus free shipping with code SEARS5OFF50 at checkout.
- Through December 12 Target is offering discounts on clothing, electronics and toys. Some items will be reduced to as low as 70% off with free shipping. 15% off on furniture updates when you spend $125 or more.
- Kmart.com is offering $5 off any $50 purchase, plus free shipping with code KMART5OFF50 at checkout. Also 10% off shoes with code SHOES10P.
- Saks Fifth Avenue is offering up to 55% off women’s clothing, shoes and handbags.
- Walmart.com is extending Cyber Monday to “Cyber Week” and offering discounts on more than 100 of the most popular gifts of the season, including electronics and toys. Free shipping from Walmart.com to the store on select items.
- Nike.com has a 25% sale and free shipping with VICTORY at checkout.
- West Elm is offering free shipping on furniture, bedding and lighting.
- The Home Depot is offering free shipping on purchases $49 or more; 10% off appliances, 30 – 60% off Hunter Ceiling Fans, plus free shipping till December 31st.
- JC Penney has a two-day online sale on over 30,000 items. Up to 60% off select jewelry.
- Staples has a two-day sale ending today on electronics and free shipping on purchases of more than $50.
- Circuit City is offering up to 60% of electronics and free shipping.
- BestBuy has laptops, TV’s, home theatres sets and more; free shipping on purchases over $25.00. Even $820 off the Panasonic Viera plasma TV.