It's Friday -- take a peek at what flavor of coffee we've got brewing: Deborah Cox is set to bring Josephine Baker to life on Broadway, Jill Scott is going on tour with Anthony Hamilton and Mint Condition, and Whitney Houston is denying all rumors that she has emphysema...
It’s Friday — take a peek at what flavor of coffee we’ve got brewing:
- News spread yesterday that Whitney Houston was supposedly diagnosed with emphysema. However, her rep has confirmed to ESSENCE.com that the story is “not true.” The National Enquirer initially reported the story and it quickly spread all over the blogosphere. We’re glad to know Whitney is in good health. If you remember, just last month she reportedly returned to rehab for drug and alcohol abuse. No word if she has exited treatment.
- Beyonce’s newest promo picture is causing an uproar. On the cover art for her new single “Best I Never Had,” Beyonce is pictured writing “King B” on the mirror. Some men aren’t too thrilled. “I just think there’s a “feminist” movement going on out of her camp, and it’s awkward,” says Dr. J. [Necole Bitchie]
- Deborah Cox is about to hit the Broadway stage! She’s scheduled to bring the famed singer and performer Josephine Baker to life. It’s set to be a musical based on Baker’s life, and will premiere in the spring of 2012. [Grio]
- Wanda Sykes says she “shocked herself” on coming out of the closet. On another point, she said that it is harder to be gay than to be Black, “to a certain point, yes. I believe that. I’m not talking about the history of African-Americans. I’m talking about at this point right now.” [CNN]
- Jill Scott is planning a mega summer concert tour! “Jill Scott’s Summer Block Party” will feature Anthony Hamiliton and Mint Condition. Grab your tickets today! [Miss Jill Scott]
- Last night the NBA finals got a lot juicier! The Dallas Mavericks beat the MIami Heat 95-93 — ouch!
You may like
Get The Essence Newsletter and Special Offers delivered to your inbox!