"I mean, just to be in this tournament is a huge win for me," said Venus Williams.
See why we’re reaching for a cappuccino this morning:
- Venus Williams made a triumphant return to the court yesterday. After announcing she’s suffering from Sjorgren’s Sydrome, an autoimmune disease, the tennis champ beat her opponent last night. “I mean, just to be in this tournament is a huge win for me. Just to be here is a win,” she said. [EURweb]
- On top of cutting a rug on Dancing with the Stars, Gladys Knight has landed a role on an upcoming television series. Knight will play the president’s mother in The First Family. Producers of the show say they’re being very flexible to accommodate Knight’s busy schedule. [TMZ]
- After disappearing from the public eye for a while, Dave Chappelle is back. He’s joined the the world of Twitter. Although, his tweets aren’t quite funny, it’s great to see interacting with the world again. [Gawker]
- Lenny Kravitz is joining UNICEF in support of this week’s World Water Week campaign. “I also think it’s a wonderful opportunity to be working with an organization that reaches to children all over the world, regardless of their race, where they live, or what their religious background is,” he said. “UNICEF is a classic organization that does great work.” [Huffington Post]
- Usher’s preparing for a new album. It appears that “Climax” wasn’t random single after all. He’s set to call his new LP The Shanertance. He’s already previewed the project for some select British audiences. [TGJ]
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s mother has passed away after battling Alzheimer Disease and dementia for several years. “My mother, Ada Sharpton passed in the early hours of this morning,” Sharpton tweeted. “She was my all. I hope God will give her now, PEACE. I love you, Mom.” [Madame Noire]
You may like
Get The Essence Newsletter and Special Offers delivered to your inbox!