TGIF! Check out why we're having an iced coffee this morning: Kelly Rowland's new album "Here I Am" gets a release date, Erykah Badu sends Twitter into overload, and Tracy Morgan's alleged homophobic rant causes an uproar...
Check out why we’re having an iced coffee this morning:
- Now we all thought Tracy Morgan was a great comedian, until now. He allegedly went on a violent homophobic tirade at a recent show in Nashville, Tennessee. The comedian plainly expressed his dislike for homosexuals. Morgan even went so far as to say what would happen if his son was gay: “[he] better talk to me like a man and not in a gay voice or I’ll pull out a knife and stab that little n****a to death,” he allegedly said. This is despicable and absolutely unacceptable. [Perez Hilton] [Jezebel]
- Songstress Alicia Keys says her song “If I Ain’t Got You” was inspired by the death of Aaliyah. “The song idea came together right after Aaliyah passed away. It was such a sad time and no one wanted to believe it. It just made everything crystal clear to me — what matters, and what doesn’t,” she says. [Urban Daily]
- After much anticipation, Kelly Rowland’s newest album “Here I Am” featuring the number one single “Motivation” will hit stores July 26th! [That Grape Juice]
- Will and Jada have a solid marriage — that we know. But how do they do it? Jada says it’s all about the time apart. “People think that WIll and I don’t spend a lot of time together. Too much time, actually, if you ask me. It’s always nice to have a little time apart. Sometimes you need that,” she told Uptown magazine. [Eurweb]
- Erykah Badu set Twitter into overload when she tweeted that “Motown Folded.” Almost immediately afterwards, the record label did some extensive rumor control. Billboard was informed that Motown is not folding despite doing structure changes in the absence of Sylvia Rhone. [Clutch Magazine]
- Bill Cosby is set to host the 2011 Playboy Jazz festival at the Hollywood Bowl this coming June 11th and 12th. The Roots are among a bevy of headliners. [Extra]
- Allen Iverson is set to return to the NBA. After playing in Turkey and suffering a leg injury he’s poised to make a return to the states. He seems to have matured quite a bit and is willing to return with a new attitude. “Maybe I’ve rubbed people the wrong way as far as saying the things I’ve said in my life and in my career. But if any team needs me to help try and win a championship in any capacity, I’m waiting,” he said. [Eurweb]
You may like
Get The Essence Newsletter and Special Offers delivered to your inbox!