- President Obama says he’s “furious” about how BP is handling the oil spill in the Gulf. He’s cancelled his trip to Indonesia and Australia to return to Louisiana this weekend. CNN
- Two men refusing to get out of the way for President Obama’s motorcade on it’s way to the White House, had to be subdued by police officers. The two men, who appear to be African-American from surveillance tapes, spewed profanities at cops on the scene were later arrested and charged with assault of an officer. Huffington Post
- President Obama and First Lady Michelle sang along to “Hey Jude” by former Beatle, Paul McCartney. McCartney also took the time to serenade the First Lady with his aptly titled song, “Michelle.” He also said he’d be the “first guy to be punched out by a president.” [YouTube]
- It’s National Donut Day. Get your free donuts at Dunkin Donuts and Krispy Kreme.
- Gary Coleman’s wife Shannon Price says his life could not have been saved. “The doctors told us that even if they had done surgery on him, he would’ve died,” she said. [TMZ]
- Meanwhile Gary Coleman’s parents are suing Price for custody of his remains. [TMZ]
- R. Kelly’s former mega mansion in Chicago is on the market for $3.89 million. Prosecutors suspect the home is where Kelly filmed himself having sex tape with a teen girl. Huffington Post
- Sean “Diddy” Combs bring his talents to the big screen again in “Get Him to The Greek.” In it he plays a, music producer. [Movie Site]
- Like the rockstar in “Get Him to The greek,” New York City is doing all it can to get LeBron James to come to the Big Apple. The New York Times recently joined the effort by launching a “Com’on LeBron” campaign. [New York Times]
- There’s lots of buzz about Tyler Perry’s latest movie project “For Colored Girls,” which began shooting in Harlem this week. Janet Jackson and Kimberly Elise were photographed on set yesterday. [ESSENCE.com]
- Before there was Samantha on “SATC,” there was Blanche on “Golden Girls.” The talented Rue McClanahan passed away at 76.[AP]
- A polo shirt worn by Tiger Woods has been “marked down” from $17, 999 to $16,000. The kicker: a shirt worn by Michael Jordan is only $1, 725. [Rue La La ]
You may like
Get The Essence Newsletter and Special Offers delivered to your inbox!