Oprah Winfrey purchased her father's barbershop in a foreclosure sale.
Here’s why we are having a double shot of espresso this morning:
- Media mogul Oprah Winfrey purchased her father’s barbershop in a foreclosure sale. Vernon Winfrey, 80, ran the Nashville shop for 50 years and owed $481,000 to the bank. Oprah was the highest bidder and purchased the property for $475,000. However Barbara Winfrey, Oprah’s stepmother, is apparently not happy about the buy. She told WSMV-TV, “I know what is going on. I’m tired of it and I’ve had enough.” [Radar Online]
- Kelly Rowland has signed up to be a judge on the Australian dance contest Everybody Dance Now. The R&B star was formally a judge on The X Factor UK, but decided to leave after the show reportedly refused to give her a pay rise. Rowland will star alongside singer Jason Derulo. [The Sun]
- Star Orlando Brown currently has two warrants out for his arrest. His first warrant was for failure to enroll in an alcohol education class which was ordered by the court. His second offense is connected to a DUI sentence he got in 2011. According to reports, Brown didn’t show up for a mandatory hearing last week and he owes $1,908 in fines. [EUR web]
- Herman Cain’s newest venture is a web channel called CainTV. The former presidential candidate launched his network on July 4th. According to the CainTv Facebook page,“whether you are looking for commentary, comedy, or culture, CainTV delivers it all in an INformed, INspirational, and INtertaining way.” There are currently two shows in the lineup: I Want Your Money and Civic Sessions with Elan Bentov. [The Grio]
- Whitney Houston is still topping the Billboard charts. This week, the late R&B singer graced the top of Billboard’s Mid-Year Chart. Houston was the highest selling act on the R&B/Hip-Hop chart with $818,000 units sold. [That Grape Juice]
You may like
Get The Essence Newsletter and Special Offers delivered to your inbox!