- We were rooting for you girl! Despite her efforts to prove her eighth grade dance teacher wrong, Niecy Nash was eliminated from “Dancing with the Stars” last night.
“I was able to survive in this competition this long,” Nash said at her elimination. “I can not hula-hoop with a Cheerio, but I’ve been able to be one of the last women standing in this competition. I’ve had a fantastic time being able to live out my dream. I’m a happy girl.” [MTV]
- Siohvaughn Wade, Dwayne Wade’s estranged wife, turned herself in to Chicago police who were looking for her after she failed to appear at a divorce hearing. She was released after posting $10,000 bail. [USA]
- Just in time for Father’s Day, VH1 is set to air a new series called “Dad Camp,” which takes unprepared dads-to-be, and with the help of relationships expert Dr. Jeff Gardere, whips them into fit fathers. Finally, a reality show that might do some good. [VH1]
- Tyra Banks has long proved that supermodels can do more than keep quiet while they work the camera. Now the reality-TV and talk show princess is moving into the realm of fiction. Banks announced on Tyra.com that she is getting ready to publish her first novel. “I said I was going to do it, and here it is!” she wrote on her site.
“It’s for all the girls and guys who want a lot more FANTASY in their lives.” The book is called “Modelland.” No surprise there. [People]
- Our hearts are with former supermodel Beverly Peele, who was involved in a major car accident. Peele was taken to UCLA Medical Center and is listed in serious condition. [AOLBV]
- In New York, the retail Mecca, women are spending less money on shopping. [NYDN]
- We are gushing over the bright purple color in Urban Decay’s Summer of Love Eyeshadow Palette. Check out our other spring makeup obsessions. [Sephora]
- More Black women are headed back to school to go beyond their bachelor’s degree, earning 70 percent of all master’s degrees presented to African-Americans. Go head, sisters! [WashPo]
- Want to hear the Salaam Remi-produced remix of Blondie’s “Rapture” by Alicia Keys’ for the “SATC” movie? Press play below.
You may like
Get The Essence Newsletter and Special Offers delivered to your inbox!